7 Days Africa Safari to Rwanda & Congo Great Apes Tour
7 Days Africa Safari to Rwanda’s Nyungwe Forest National Park & Congo’s Kahuzi Beiga National Park for a Great Apes African Tour
This remarkable 7 Days Africa Safari to Rwanda & Congo Great Apes Tour takes us across some of the most beautiful and emotive landscapes on the African continent, traveling through Rwanda and the Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo as we go in search of chimpanzees and eastern gorillas.
Beginning in the Rwandan capital of Kigali, we travel east to the beautiful Nyungwe Forest National Park to trek chimpanzees in the forest.
We’ll then journey across the border into DR Congo and the city of Bukavu, located on the southern shores of Lake Kivu, where we’ll visit the eastern gorillas in Kahuzi-Biega National Park with renowned gorilla conservationist and philanthropist John Kahekwa.
Whilst here we’ll spend time with John learning about his conservation work and visit a number of projects supported by the Pole Pole Foundation – a charity John founded to help try and improve the lives of people living in the area.
Along the way, we’ll be sure to meet a cast of fascinating and inspiring characters who will provide a truly unique insight into this incredible part of Central Africa!
On this 7 Days, Africa Safari to Rwanda & Congo Great Apes Tour, $200 USD from each client will be donated to allow 20 Congolese to also trek into the jungle and visit the gorillas. John believes the more the local population knows and understands their wildlife and environment the keener they will be to protect it.
Detailed 7 Days Africa Safari to Rwanda & Congo Great Apes Tour
Day 1: Tour Starts in Kigali (Rwanda)
The tour starts this morning with a guided tour of Nyamirambo and the Nyamirambo Women’s Centre as well as a visit to the Kigali Memorial Centre at Gisozi.
Day 2-3: Kigali – Nyungwe Forest National Park
We’ll visit the Royal Palace at Nyanza and the Ethnographic Museum in Butare before heading to Nyungwe Forest National Park for the night.
Day 4-6: Nyungwe Forest National Park (Rwanda) – Bukavu (DR Congo):
Day 4: Today we’ll cross the border into DR Congo at Bukavu. In the afternoon we’ll visit a number of projects run by John Kahekwa’s Pole Pole Foundation.
Day 5: One of the last refuges of the rare Eastern Lowland Gorilla, today you’ll be privileged to see these magnificent primates in their natural setting.
Day 6: Today we’ll see more of the natural beauty of the Kahuzi Biega National Park and combine it with another visit to one of John Kahekwa’s Pole Pole Foundation projects.
Day 7: Bukavu (DR Congo) – Kigali (Rwanda):
Day 7: Today we’ll cross back into Rwanda and head back to the capital Kigali for a farewell dinner. Those on the group flight will transfer to the airport in the late evening for their early morning flight on what would be day 8.
- The cost of obtaining your DR Congo visa on the land border
- Full services of a Wild Frontiers Tour Leader with local guides and drivers
- 6 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 7 dinners
- All transport (minibus and 4WD vehicles)
- 6 nights accommodation (6 in hotels) with wash and change rooms on day 7
- All entrance fees, sightseeing, permits, excursions and activities as per the itinerary
- $200 USD per person donation to The Pole Pole Foundation
- A carbon-offsetting contribution to Carbon Clear (if booking international flights through WF office)
- International flights(From/to home)
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips(Tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items(Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees
Related Rwanda Safari Ideas: Book at a Discount, the Best Africa Safari Destination
Rwanda is often called the land of a thousand hills. Everywhere you look you will see the beautiful green hills. In Rwanda you can enjoy culture, nature, primates and the beaches of Lake Kivu. This tour has been designed to bring you all the highlights of this beautiful country with… Book This Trip